Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Final email!

Monday, May 11, 2015
Well, this is my last oficial email as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ. I wanted to just review some things that Ive learned as a missionary, and take the opportunity to bear my testimony. 

Let´s start at the beginning shall we?

-I started in the MTC in June of 2013. I learned that God responds to our prayers, to put it simply.

-Buffalo, New York, where I was born. I learned how to study the scriptures, how to work, and how to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

-Rochester, New York. Where I learned to really love people. Where I learned to teach people, struggle with people, and rejoice with people. 

-Greece, New York, where I learned to really rely on the Lord and communicate. I also learned to love the Temple of God.

-Canandaigua, New York, where I learned that the gospel is not easy. Also that service is an attribute of Jesus Christ. 

-Pittsford, New York, where I learned that missionary work is not easy. It was here that I learned to love to bear my testimony, and to love leading others. 

-Birigui, São Paulo, Brasil- Where I learned to speak Portuguese. I also learned that strangers in strange lands can become your best friends. I learned the amazing faith that Brazilians have while I was in Birigui.

-Ribeirão Preto, São Brasil- I learned the importance of my mission. I came to know how important it is for us to be worthy and faithful soldiers in the Lord´s army, so He can use us as His hands to bless His needing children. 

These are just a very few of the things that I´ve learned in 2 years as a missionary. But in truth the very most important things Ive learned have taken place between me and our Heafvenly Father. Ive come to know most importantly that He exists, and that He listens to us. This is perhaps the most imporant lesson that Ive learned. Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 talks about the worth of every soul is so great in God´s eyes. It says that if we work for 2 years and help bring just one soul to Christ, our joy will be unimaginable. But if we ourselves are the only soul we save, it´s sufficient, as long as we´re working hard. I was definitely my first convert, and for this I will remember my mission for the rest of my life primarily  with the sacred thoughts of my own conversion. 
   I want to bear my testimony that I know God lives. And because I know He lives, I know He listens to our prayers. I was able to sit down in a very sacred place that we call the Sacred Grove, and sincerely ask God if everything the Mormons profess to be true is true, primarily the Book of Mormon. If Joseph Smith really saw God and was called to be a prophet to usher in the marvelous work and a wonder, the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our day. I know that I received an answer that day, through opening the Book of Mormon and reading something that God used to speak to me. I walked out of thegrove that day with a real testimony of the work I have been doing for 2 years. If you havent asked God if it´s true, how will you know? You have to pick up the Book of Mormon and ask God if it´s true and if it has importance in your life. Dont be afraid because others say it´s not true. God is the only one who can prove it to you that it´s true or not. I have been so happy giving others the opportunity to have a real relationship with God through simple prayers. One of my favorite things on the mission is teaching children how to pray, and then watching them develop a habit and pray on their own. God wants us to pray to Him, yet so many of us forget to do it, or even forget how to do it. But we obtain responses to our questions from God. We have to pray to Him. 
   I could go on and on, but we´ll save that for next week when I come home haha 

I thank all of you so much for the support these last two years, especially my parents. Theyve sacrificed so much. I thank them and I thank God for this very special time Ive been given. 

I love you all!


Love,
Elder Jake Hirschi  

No comments:

Post a Comment