Monday, August 5, 2013


Hello from New York!
When you think of New York you don't typically think of rolling hills and fields, but that's the first impression and view of New York I got when I stepped off the plane. Sorry we couldn't email last Monday, it seems like forever ago that I sent an email! My PDay is Monday here, so emails get to come on Mondays. I arrived off the plane, after a rather hectic morning, on Monday, and we met our mission President. I was with about 10 other missionaries. We spent that night at the home of the mission president, and had interviews with him (in order to get to know him a little better) until 1am the first night haha. The next morning we woke up and went straight to some historic church sites, such as Joseph Smith's log cabin, the Hill Cumorah, Alvin Smith's grave, and finally, the Sacred Grove. It's such an amazing opportunity to be in the exact place that thousands of missionaries testify about around the world. After the site seeing we all went to meet our trainers, or the companion we are with (24/7!) for at least the next 6 weeks! Since I am a "visa-waiter" I was put with two other Elders who are supposed to tell me how everything works and teach me lots of wisdom the next 6 or 12 weeks.They are good trainers. Our job as missionaries in "the field" is to talk with whoever we can, and teach them about the gospel of Jesus Christ and how to come closer to Him. Although the week was stressful, it's nice to be in a lesson and feel the Spirit, which takes away any stress you seem to have walking in to the lesson. We've met some true characters even since being here just a week. My area is the Northern part of Buffalo, which is pretty much one of two or three true cities in the whole mission area. Buffalo is about an hour and a half west of Rochester, so I'm not actually in the city of Rochester. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to see different cultures and backgrounds-say goodbye to the "Johnson County Bubble!" haha it's amazing and heart-breaking to see things people go through their whole lives that I can't even come close to relating to, but it's an even bigger blessing to see people come out of tough situations and become new people through the gospel of Jesus Christ. I can't wait to meet more people and see the Lord help me make weaknesses and fears become strengths- Ether 12:27 also my new mailing address straight to my apartment is
25 Logan Avenue #21
Kenmore, New York 14223
and the mission office address, which you can also ship things to is
460 Kreag Road
Pittsford, New York 14534

No comments:

Post a Comment